Emergency responders rushed to a Madison middle school last week when a natural gas odor was reported.
Blackhawk Middle was evacuated Friday afternoon. When firefighters arrived, a Madison Gas and Electric technician told them his sensor didn't detect any gas. The firefighters' sensors didn't detect natural gas either, so they went to the classroom where the odor was first reported. Inside a cabinet in that room, they found a plastic container with rotting cookies and protein bars -- which were giving off that suspicious odor.